Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rift Hammers



Played some Rift the other day.  This is my first try at the game since I tried the game 3 months after release with a weekend pass.  I have to say that I do like the environs and the feel of the game.  The only thing that really bothered me and to tell the truth its the same thing that bothered me when I went back to try EQ2 a while back.  Its the way the developers have dumbed down your choices in the game.

Let me explain.  When I first played EQ2, you started as a generic class.. priest, rogue, warrior, mage.. then your progressed and got to choose another path to take and then further on another path.  I always thought that aspect of the game was really cool, but they have dumbed that down.  Basically you can pick what your ending class will be from the start which takes a lot of the mystery out of what your end up being when your all grown up.

Rift has done the same thing.  You get to pick what 3 Souls you want to start off playing and the game hand holds your decision making.  I wanted to be a cleric so I chose a specific kind.  I got 3 souls from the start and after I acquire a point, the game instructs me on how I need to place that point to be the cleric I originally chose.  I'm not hip to that idea.  I don't like hand holding in games and for me, the original experience of having to gather your souls through questing was pretty nice.  It added flavor to the game that now seems rush rush.  Put your point here and lets move on, no need to make a decision till way later in the game.

I don't understand the mentality of developers to release a game and then after a few months start, water it down for those who are lazy.  Do they think that by streamlining those options your going to get an influx of new gamers?  Come on, that's just insane.  If anything it will drive the returning customers nuts that you've dumbed it all down.

Well thats how I feel anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment